Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

CLASSIC POEMS

1. But could youth last and love still breed,

Had joys no date nor age no need,

Then these delights my mind might move

To live with thee and be thy love.
2. I never saw so sweet a face

As that I stood before.

My heart has left its dwelling place

And can return no more.
3. For nothing this wide universe I call,

Save thou, my rose; in it thou art my all.
4. My love is strengthen'd, though more weak in seeming;

I love not less, though less the show appear:

That love is merchandized whose rich esteeming

The owner's tongue doth publish every where.
5. Thy love is better than high birth to me,

Richer than wealth, prouder garments' cost,

Or more delight than hawks or horses be;

And having thee, of all men's pride I boast...
6. Of this gold city, and eternal day'-

Nay peace: behind my prison's blinded bars

I do possess what none can take away

My love and all the glory of the stars.
7. Between the blossoms red and white,

O merrily the throstle sings!

My love first came into my sight,

O perfect vision of delight,

O the glad dove has golden wings!
8. ...and the sunlight clasps the earth,

And the moonbeams kiss the sea;-

What are all these kassings worth,

If thou kiss not me?
9. What's to come is still unsure:

In delay there lies not plenty;

Then, come kiss me, sweet and twenty,

Youth's a stuff will not endure.
10. My cheek is cold and white, alas!

My heart beats load and fast-

Oh! press it close to thine own again,

Where it will break at last!
11. Oh night! divorce our sun and sky apart -

Never our lips, our hands.
12. You smiled, you spoke and I believed,

By every word and smile - deceived.

Another man would hope no more;

Nor hope I- what I hoped before.

But let not this last wish be vain;

Deceive, deceive me once again!
13. It's all I have I have to bring today,

This, and my heart beside,

This, and my heart beside, and all the fields,

And all the meadows wide.

Be sure you count, should I forget,

Someone the sum could tell,

This, and my heart, and all the bees

Which in the clover dwell.
14. Nor tie to earths to come,

Nor action new,

Except through this extent,

The Realm of You!
15. A magic moment I remember:

I raised my eyes and you were there.

A fleeting vision, the quintessence

Of all that's beautiful and rare.
16. My heart is what it was before,

A house where people come and go

But it is winter with your love,

The sashes are beset with snow.
17. Love, if I weep it will no matter,

An if you laugh I shall no care;

Foolish am I to think about it,

But it is good to feel you there.
18. Beauty and love are all my dreams;

They change not with the changing day;

Love stays forever like a stream

That flows but never flows away;...
19. Rowing in Eden.

Ah, the sea.

Might I but moor

Tonight with thee!
20. O hurry to the ragged wood, for there

I will drive all those lovers out and cry

O, my share of the world, O, yellow hair!

No one has ever loved but you and I.
21. At last, when all the summer shine

That warmed life's early hours is past,

Your loving fingers seek for mine

And hold them close - at last - at last!
22. I fear not all that Time or Fate

May bring to burden heart or brow,-

Strong in the love that came so late,

Our souls shall keep it always now!
23. I love thee, as I love the calm

Of sweet, star-lighted hours!

I love thee, as love the balm

Of early jes'mine flow'rs.
24. Such is the feeling which from thee

Nought earthly can allure:

'Tis ever link'd to all I see

Of gifted - high - and pure!
25. I love you as I love the ...
...first

Young violet of the spring;

Or the pale lily, April-nurs'd

To scented blossoming.
26. Having loved me when I was young

And now when I am not,

You are twice blessed

For giving

A rich person a gift.
27. Come live with me and be my love,

And we will all the pleasures prove,

That valleys, groves, hills and fields,

Woods or steepy mountains yields.
28. I prize thy love more then whole mines of gold,

Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
29. And looking to the Heaven, that bends above you,

How oft! I bless the Lot that made me love you.
30. But see how patient I am grown

In this coil about thee:

Come, nice thing, let thy heart alone,

I cannot live without thee!
31. If ever two were one, then surely we.

If ever man were lov'd by wife, then thee;

If ever wife was happy in a man,

Compare with me ye women if you can.
32. I would I could adopt your will,

See with your eyes, and set my heart.

Beating by yours, and drink me fill

At your soul's springs - your part my part

In life, for good and ill.
33. My love is such that rivers cannot quench,

Nor ought but love from thee, give recompense.

Thy love is such I can no way repay,

The heavens reward thee manifold I pray.
34. Give all to love;

Obey the heart;

Friends, kindred, days,

Estate, good-fame,

Plans, credit and the Muse,-

Nothing refuse.
35. The void shall not weary, the fear shall not alter

These lips and these eyes of the loved and the lover.
36. Come to me in my dreams, and then

By day I shall be well again!

For then the nightwill more than pay

The hopeless longing of the day.
37. How say you "Let us, O my dove,

Let us be ashamed of soul,

As earth lies bare to heaven above!

How is it under control

To love or not to love?"

1 comment: